Wednesday, April 6, 2011

By close race, Dale Jr. misses the "W" again in Martinsville to Harvick

This past Sunday's race at Martinsville Speedway in Virginia was supposed to be a show down between Jimmie Johnson and Denny Hamlin.  It turned the opposite from a competition of knowing and became the unknown. 

No one expected Dale Earnhardt, Jr. to come from behind and get the lead after passing Kyle Busch.  However, closing right behind him was Kevin Harvick.  Harvick passed Jr. with four laps to go.  This was Harvick's second win in two weeks.

Kevin Harvick wanted the fan favorite, Dale Jr. to win, but he could not let the win pass him by and took the lead.  According to ESPN.com, Harvick stated, "As I was catching him, I'm like, 'Man, I'm going to be the bad guy here.  I've got to do what I've got to do. I know the fans want to see him win. I want to see him win. It would be great for the sport and I think today went a long ways to showing how competitive [Earnhardt] can be and that's what we need. We all need him to win. But I'm not going to back down."

Dale, Jr. was comfortable with the second place win but was still frustrated.  On ESPN.com, Dale, Jr. stated, "I ain't won in a long time. I was thinking at the end I was meant to win the damn race." 





I, myself, am a huge fan of Dale Earnhardt, Jr. and have been since I was little.  I was upset to see Junior come so close to a win and then watch Harvick steal his race away.  Dale, Jr. has not won since 2008 and I do believe his race is coming.  After winning second place on Sunday, he is now eighth in the point standings.  I really hope that his winning thunder is coming back.  He deserves it.

No comments:

Post a Comment