Wednesday, February 2, 2011

New Technologies in Sport Media

New technologies in the sports industry today range from sporting equipment, social networking sites, and all the way to your new Smartphone Apps. 

Today, I have found a new sport social networking site.  It is called ArmchairGM.  It is a website where you can find almost any news story in the sport media today.  The link is posted below.  I found this interesting because the site is full of articles and can keep you updated on what's happening in the sport world.  To do this, all you need to do is create an account on the website and you gain full access to any article and can even add friends to your pages.

In addition, I researched a new type of technology that was used during the Olympics at Beijing.  This technology was created for the Sailing Events.  Sailors used the Dopplar Radar system to navigate and see what's going on during their trips.  However, this system is useless when there is no wind blowing.  The Doppler Lidar system was created to scan the surface of the course with laser beams and measures beam scatter to provide a real-time readout of wind speed and direction over a large area. 

These are just two of the many new technologies being brought to the new sport world.  New technologies are created everyday.

1 comment:

  1. Sophie I came across this system while I was researching for new technologies as well. I almost used this as my own post but found something else instead. However, I thought that the Dopplar Lidar was very interesting because sailors in the Olympics used to use the unreliable Dopplar Radar system. I think it is amazing how this big, boxy, piece of technology can figure out wind speed and direction all by using laser beams and a measuring system. I can only imagine what they will think of next not only for sailing but for other sports in the Olympics.

    ReplyDelete